Welcome to Ryan's Law! Français
Ryan’s Law is new Ontario legislation that came into force in May 2015. It requires all school boards in the province to develop and maintain asthma policies and procedures that help protect students who have asthma. Schools will also be required to allow students with asthma to carry their emergency inhalers, with permission from a parent or guardian.
The Ontario Lung Association is committed to helping parents, teachers and school boards adjust to this new era of asthma-friendly schools.
Frequently asked questions - for parents
How will Ryan’s Law help to keep my child with asthma safe at school?
Ryan’s Law requires every Ontario school board to introduce policies and procedures that:
- Allow your child to carry his/her asthma rescue inhalers (with your permission).
- Reduce your child’s contact with asthma triggers such as pollen, dust, mould, pet allergens, cleaning products, scents and renovations/building repairs.
- Provide information about asthma to school staff, students and parents.
- Provide for regular training of school staff on recognizing and managing asthma symptoms and attacks.
- Develop an individual plan for every student with asthma, including recommendations from their health-care providers and current emergency contacts. This will be kept on file at the school. ll school staff and others who work with students must be informed about these individual plans.
As the parent of a child with asthma, what am I required to do under Ryan’s Law?
When you register your child at school, you will be asked if he/she has asthma. You will then be asked to assist in the preparation of an individual asthma management plan to be kept on file at the school. It is your responsibility to ensure that the information in your child’s file is kept up to date, including any changes to his/her medication(s) or delivery device.
Why is it called Ryan’s Law?
The legislation is named after Ryan Gibbons, a boy from southwestern Ontario who died in October 2012 after having an asthma attack at school. With assistance and guidance from the Ontario Lung Association, Ryan’s mother Sandra launched a campaign to make schools safe for children with asthma. She enlisted the support of her MPP Jeff Yurek who tabled the private member’s bill that would eventually become Ryan’s Law.
What should parents/caregivers know about asthma?
- Click here to learn more about managing your child's asthma.
- Click here to learn about the inhalation devices your child may use to control his/her asthma.
- Click here to order asthma resources for the whole family!
Where can I go if I have more questions about Ryan’s Law?
Call The Lung Association Lung Health Information Line at 1-888-344-LUNG (5864) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.